3.11.2007

Quick thoughts on THE DRAW

Been watching nothing but bracket talk for the past 2.5 hours and I'm about at my limit. But first, some quick thoughts...

--Bob Huggins sounded positively despondent on ESPN. Whenever a coach refers to his interviewer by name it's bad news. When asked by Rece Davis what the Wildcats should've done, Huggins responded, "I don't know, Rece, won more games?" Ouch. And I can't say they don't have a beef with Texas Tech probably practicing right now in preparation for their game.

--Georgetown and Texas both probably upped their status in their respective conference tournaments, but I have a feeling they may have peaked too early. The Hoyas waltzed over Pitt and seem poised for a return to Earth, while a visibly tired Longhorn squad fought tooth and nail with Kansas, only to lose the Big XII Championship.

I know they'll be popular picks in the coming days, but I'd stay away.

--Creighton's draw is a double-edged sword. I typically don't like these match-ups between two teams in the upper third of the mid-major heap. On one hand, it's probably a better match-up for the Jays and the Wolfpack could be without a key contributor. On the other hand, you lose a little of that "David picked up a stone and slung it" edge because you're facing a team that should be on level terms. If I had my choice, I'd just as soon see CU take on BC because I'm not sure Anthony Tolliver can stay out of foul trouble against Nick Fazekas.

--It's good to see UNLV again.

--Have you ever wondered what Stacey King is up to these days? Well, he's working the NIT Selection Show right now.

--While the 8-9 games should, in theory, be the best match-ups of the first round, they're almost always duds between major conference tweeners. These were the true bubble teams and now we get to watch a bunch of stragglers like Xavier, Purdue and Michigan State slug it out. Thrilling.

--Digger Phelps tie/hi-liter coordination is still the worst thing in television. It's not that it is such an obviously contrived trademark, it's that it's just not a good obviously contrived trademark. What am I supposed to think when I see this? "Hey! His marker and his neckwear match! Fascinating."

--Speaking of the NIT, who is on that committee anyway? Is it strictly volunteer? How do I sign up? As long as I'm wasn't the guy who had to call and invite Jim Boeheim, I think I could do it.

Check back tomorrow for a more extensive but no less personal evaluation of the West bracket.

No comments: