6.30.2008

Drifting

First Will Leitch leaves Deadspin and now this (indulge me with a brief bout of self-importance):

As of this post, I'm officially joining the crew at the Big Red Network.

OK, so maybe it's not that momentous, I didn't feel the Internet shake, but it does mean a couple of different things:

1) All of my Nebraska football content will now appear over there.

2) I will still be here at HiPlainsDrifter.com but in a more general sports/personal blog format.

I have a couple of reasons for doing that, which I will now letter to avoid confusion:

a) Writing this blog (for free) makes me feel like I'm utilizing my graduate degree (not free).

b) I have to fight the urge to not write about the worst thing to ever happen to me--the Chicago Cubs--daily. Now I'll have the freedom to do that and it's something I used to do a lot of. The timing for this really couldn't be better as the injury-riddled Northsiders are starting to come back to the pack which is good for me. I don't possess a vocabulary deep enough to write about the Cubs when they're good but over the years I have developed a sharply-honed arsenal of ways to say essentially the same thing: the Cubs suck. Hopefully I'll get to work on my weakness here but, if not, I'm ready to write them off about 300 times in the next three months.

c) I'm still going to kick the crap out of Trace Adkins this season. Despite the fact that I can't pick games worth a damn, I like doing it. Perhaps naively, the point-spread represents just about the most objective college football data out there to me and I'm going to keep looking at the game from that angle.

d) Shameless self-promotion. If anyone decides to pay me to write something, I assure you, I'll link it here.

Honestly, I don't know what this blog will be going forward outside of those few general ideas but I do know this: In financially dire, environmentally distressing times such as these what the world needs now is another navel-gazing, general sports blog so that's what I'm going to aim to provide.

But more than that, the reason for the move was driven by the opportunity to contribute to a site I read and respect. I won't be writing about the Huskers any less or any differently than I have been, it will just be at a different location.

I know most of the people who happen across this site day to day come here for the Husker talk and if it doesn't interest you outside of that then, sincerely, thanks for coming by and you know where to find me.

And if, by chance, you do find yourself back here, well, thanks for that too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard Brandon. We're excited to have you on the team. Looking forward to your continued search for Harrietta Husker over on our turf.

Anonymous said...

That'll be a good marriage...you'll bring that little extra something to an already great mix. I've been on record from the get-go as not able to possibly care less about the Cubs, but I'm sure you'll still have plenty of other interesting stuff going on here (and old habits die hard with me anyway). I just hope you'll still throw up a post about some dusty Rich Glover bourbon bottle on here from time to time...for old time's sake.

Sammy Vegas said...

Are you serious?

BLV said...

DT,

Thanks. I'll try not to bash everyone over the head with the Cubs content too quickly.

Actually, I'm more interested in doing some general college football talk that doesn't involve Nebraska.

BLV said...

Sammy,

I am serious.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the new adventure. I will continue to check in, but as a very serious and very beaten-down Reds fan (Go Big Reds?), I can't promise to read a lot of Cubs content while they are doing well in the standings.

BLV said...

Robert,

Fair enough. I can respect a Reds fan. I have enormous Cubs guilt due to the fact that they're one of America's teams so I secretly lust over rooting for someone less popular.

But it's not all bad in Cincinnati. Dusty Baker hasn't blown out any of your stellar young arms...yet.