6.11.2008

If Mt. Rushmore was in Nebraska...


This being the off-season, ESPN.com is doing off-season things like asking college football fans (and trolls) to select the "Face of the Program" for every team in the Bowl Championship Subdivision.

Lacking something better to do--or a life in general--here are some highlights from the 232 posts to date on Nebraska's board, some commentary and the results.

eric_couch (1 month ago)
Tom Osborne the face of Nebraska football. Heck, he's the face of the state.

The voters of Nebraska, respectfully, disagree. Respectfully.

brickonite (4 weeks ago)

the face of the cornhuskers is the option eric courch and ahomin green and and all frazie and all the famous rb and Qb and the Blackshirt D and the tricks plays. (All, sadly, Sic)

I think the best thing to come from this comment is the term "all frazie." I think I'll use it anytime Ganz breaks a big run. For example: Facing 3rd and 19 in the shadows of the south end zone, patient Joey Ganz dropped back against the gold rush of the Missouri Tigers. The pocket collapsed, he pulled it down and 87-yards later Husker fans were left shaking their heads. There was only one way to describe what they had just seen. Joe Ganz had just gotten all frazie on preseason favorite Mizzou.

mcarthur323232 (1 month ago)
Dorothy Lynch.

It's orange. It's gloop. It can flavor ANYTHING.

fbplayer_78 ( 2 weeks ago)

Johnny Rodgers...at a gas station.

You have to respect trolls who know their history.

lclbb1188 (1 week ago)

Tom Osborne was close to being elected governor because he was a good football coach...Definitely him.

Tom Osborne was close to being elected guv'nah because he could coach ball but I'm not sure how that bolsters his argument.

nlthed (4 days ago)
"Lawrence Phillips...presented by (Classless) Tom Osborne. He sold the whole University out."

Tom Osborne? Classless? He's not the classless coach, that'd be Devaney. The man never saw a young blonde he didn't like.

Now that sounds like a politician. I vote Devaney!

chris larsen in cabo (1 day ago)
1. Herbie Husker premakeover. Hard core, blue collar farm boy type. A lot like a walk-on.
2. The red N in block on the white helmet. When our boys are playing you don't see a face.

Obviously my favorite. An undying love for old Herbie and he's writing from Mexico. Chris, call me, we'll wax poetic about overalls, fish for some marlin and drink pulque until we go blind. It'll be great.

When determining the final tally, I certainly took some artistic license. A number of people just couldn't nominate one person so I typically took the first listed or the most original/intriguing nominations. I didn't throw out any vote. The results shouldn't surprise you:

Tom Osborne - 85
Bob Devaney - 14
Lawrence Phillips - 9
Tommie Frazier - 8
Sea of Red - 6
Johnny Rodgers - 5
Herbie Husker - 3
The Helmet - 3
Eric Crouch - 3
Brook Berringer - 3
The Blackshirts - 3
Bill Callahan - 3
The Option/Kicking Ass - 2
Dave Rimington - 2
The '95 Huskers - 2
The Tunnel Walk - 2
Tom Novak, The Pipeline, Dorothy Lynch, Trev Alberts, I.M. Hipp, Scott Frost, Steve Pederson, Jamaal Lord, Curt Dukes, Joe Dailey, Larry the Cable Guy, Pat Ricketts, Thunder Collins, Christian Peter (but they meant Jason), Bo Pelini, Turner Gill, Will Shields, & Walk-ons - all 1

Personally, I'd just go with Bob Devaney, in a Blackshirts t-shirt, watching Dr. Tom, wearing bib overalls, diagram the option on a chalkboard in front of 80,000 people.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised (and saddened) that Larry the Cable guy got as many votes as Turner and Trev.

Pat Ricketts was a funny one though...it reminds me of how every time he'd get burned for a big play, I'd say: "...we've come down with another case of the Ricketts."

I liked the photo...on my myspace, in the "Heroes" section, I have something about Devaney, TO, Johnny Rodgers & Tommie Frazier being on the Mount Rushmore of NU Football (and LP being the Crazy Horse monument). So two out of three ain't bad, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say three out of four there, but I was in a particularly Meatloaf-ish mood when I wrote that.