4.02.2008

Lacking a clever name for random thoughts

This is Bob Devaney...

This is me (staring at a computer screen)...

What's the difference? Before today it was about 101 victories, two national titles and one damn fine hat. Now, thanks to a Seward, Neb. ebay seller, it's just 101 victories and two national titles.

I'm officially ready for the 2008 football season to start.

My favorite part of the hat is not the feather in the band (not pictured here) but the official seal of the United Hatters, Caps & Millinery Workers International Union featured on the inside.

United we stand.

On to other bits of randomness...

--I really want this Cody Glenn Cinderella story to work. I really do. Hard-luck, hard-working running back puts the team (okay, and a better chance at PT) first and becomes an absolute sideline-to-sideline terror at linebacker, leading the team to the conference crown and himself to a nice 9-year NFL career followed by an even more successful motivational speaking gig after retiring.

This sort of thing works all the time in small-town high school football. You put your biggest and best athlete at running back to maximize his touches and then stick him right in the middle of your defense where he can raise the most hell. But the Big 12?

This ain't intramurals, brother. I'm sure Cody has the ability and desire for the seek and destroy aspects of linebackering, but what of the "I gotta drop here or Michael Crabtree is gonna take this slant 70 yards for a TD" part of the equation?

I guess that's what the spring is for and we should all probably thank Cody Glenn for instantly making the spring game, and the rest of spring practice for that matter, 100% more interesting.

--The underlying story in this Glenn saga is that, even while doing nothing, Pelini is lighting fires under asses. According to Glenn's comments after practice, the seeds of Blackshirt dreams were first sown with a joking comment to the new coach upon his arrival.

The mere idea of a Pelini defense has inspired a lifelong running back--a position rarely known for the humility of the people who play it (See: Doug DuBose and his Secretariat necklace)--to actually swap sides.

Rumor has it, and this is unconfirmed, that when Glenn went to tell Pelini of this decision he didn't enter his office through the door but rather just walked through the adjoining wall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you looked like such an angry, possessed person.

Haaa!!!!

BLV said...

That's the intensity I bring to this blog day in and day out.

Anonymous said...

Great another convert to the Red Hat Club. I now must turn my back on your blog.

BLV said...

Wait, come back! I haven't shown you my purple dress yet.

Anonymous said...

Sweet.

You had me at Wait.