5.20.2008

Bowling on the Bayou?

College Football News released their "Way Too Early Bowl Predictions 2009" last week and at this point they have Nebraska slated to face Arkansas in the Independence Bowl in gorgeous Shreveport, Louisiana. (Yes, yes. Premature and ludicrous but it's something to talk about.)

According to the conference tie-ins, this would mean Nebraska got in as the seventh selection from the Big 12. This got me to thinking about which six teams from the conference were going to "better bowls."

The top of the charts was easy:

1. Oklahoma
1a. Missouri
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech

After that, however, it gets pretty jumbled. Kansas is a pretty solid next best after Tech but then what? Colorado? Kansas State? Oklahoma State? A&M?

Here's where CFN had the Big 12 teams going:

Oklahoma - Cotton
Oklahoma State - Insight
Kansas State - Sun
Texas - Holiday
Kansas - Alamo
Colorado - Texas
A&M - Nowhere

Where are Missouri and Tech? In the BCS bowls, of course.

Wait...of course? A Tigers-Raiders Big 12 title game? Since I don't consider Nebraska a contender for the division title at this point, I'm all for it. I desperately want Texas Tech to win the south and take the next step. I'm also extremely skeptical that it can happen, but I'll be hoping. They have a ton of returning talent but I still wouldn't put them ahead of Texas right now, much less Oklahoma.

As for Nebraska and Shreveport, ummm, I'm looking longingly at K-State's slot in the Sun Bowl. I want that game. I want to spend New Year's Eve watching football on the side of a mountain in El Paso and then spend the early hours of 2009 drinking tequila in Juarez.

You can't tell me that it's not the best little bowl available.

No comments: