5.15.2008

BOrnography?

Is anyone else starting to get nervous about the depth of glory restoring that's dominated this off season? It was nice early on. Bo fulfilled all of the immediate needs for most Nebraska fans right away with his simple man approach. The spring game was a giant success if not terribly interesting. The unity council is back and Frank Solich shouldn't have been fired.

While I appreciated the honesty out of Bo in regards to the short ball coach, his comments did elicit an eye roll out of me. Everything is starting to seem a little too easy at this point, too neat and tidy. You can't just come back, do everything the old way and succeed, right?

That's the question I've been wrestling with lately.

Today I may have found an answer: BOrnography. Ladies and gentlemen, "A Return to Tradition":

"A DVD compilation of the historical events marking the move back to Nebraska Football Tradition in 2008. See the full footage of the 1997 Championship reunion banquet featuring Charlie McBride, Jason Peter and Coach Osborne. It was the middle of the '07 season when the banquet took place, and things were looking tough for the '07 Huskers. hear the amazing insights and heart warming reflections offered by the former coaches and players, including some hilarious comments from the always entertaining Jason Peter. See the imploring request from coach Osborne for the '07 players to show their support and encouragement to the embattled 2007 Huskers. Also see the entire Bo Pelini introduction press conference and hear Bo set forth in his own words his vision for bringing tradition back to NU. And finally see highlights from the 2008 Spring Game, complete with the post game comments from coach Pelini and select players. 2007 was a tough year, but the future looks bright! DVD video, Husker Vision footage, 140 minutes."


See a banquet! Hear Tom tell the '97 team that, hell, high water, or embarrassing home beatdown, they're gonna get down there on the sidelines and CHEER, dadgumit! Watch Bo Pelini do that thing where you crane your neck and pull against the collar of your shirt with your index finger because you hate wearing ties!

OK, now there's no question about my level of concern. There is no Bill Callahan era video and that's fine, but Bo getting one before a game has even been played? It's much worse than I thought.

But then again, if the devil exploded and all evil in the world vanished, what sort of video would you want?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bornography. I love it. You going to trademark that?

And you're right, it the devil disappeared there'd be some guy selling DVD's of the second coming of Christ.

krossfader said...

a-freakin'-men

One of the bigger problems of Solich's tenure was this exact insistence on living in the past.

Scary stuff.

Anonymous said...

Bravo..."Watch Bo cut a ribbon!" Can you feel the tradition?! "See exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage of the back-room ceremony where Bo's golden halo was affixed!" These are exciting times we're living in...
Or as you aptly noted: It's much worse than I thought. Actually, that might be too close to call--I thought it was pretty bad when they started selling the official traditional Bo Pelini coin (you know, the one with "heads" on both sides?) I might have to give one of those coins a flip to determine which one is actually worse. Hey, I guess you can't lose either way then! (Or can't win...but fortunately I always call "heads").

When Bo first got hired, the comparisons to Stoops were prevalent...but I wonder, did he have to put up with this BS the first off-season after he got hired? I don't remember. I recall some hubbub over him welcoming Switzer back into the fold, but didn't follow it closely enough to know for sure. So welcome to mid-90's OU, I guess...either that or mid-70's (not to mention mid-80's, 90's & 2000's) Alabama, I'm not sure which. But it appears, for better or worse, both those programs have finally gotten over their fixation with "legendary lineage"...it also looks like we're still content to be stuck in the past.

But upon further reflection, Stoops was the 4th coach after the legend to be hired...so I'm fearful that we may have even more road to travel before we find our Stoops. Which causes great panic. I wish they'd just leave Bo alone with this crap and let Bo be Bo and stop trying to cram him into this box we prefer to reserve for our chosen ones. This nonsense about him bringing up Solich is his idea?! I can't believe that...he sounds dumb as hell having it even come out of his mouth--I hate to belabor the point, but if Solich hadn't have gotten the axe, Bo probably wouldn't be our coach today. I'm very happy that Bo is our coach...so ergo, I'm likewise happy that Frank got canned in the first place. There's a doozy for the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too crowd to consider:
A-Clamoring on about how Frank Solich never should've been fired...
and
B-Having a fondness of the idea of Bo being our head coach...
are mutually exclusive to one another

This revisionist history bullshit where that fact is sort of glossed over in this wave of sentiment to liken Bo with "coaching legends" like Solich sort of ignores the fact that A & B cannot be logically reconciled. I've said it before and I'll probably have to say it again: If Solich hadn't have been fired, Bo would've moved on by now to somewhere like Arkansas, Illinois or Louisville...and we'd still be stuck with Solich. It's as simple as that...you can't have it both ways, folks.

And who in the hell is behind trying to force this "Solich needs a ceremony" shit down our throats. Doesn't he have a team to coach? This shit they're pedaling about how it would "help heal old wounds"...would it help heal the wounds he caused to those of us who know him as the founding father of 7-loss seasons? I don't think so...so get over whatever psychological wounds you're still suffering from on your own time. By that standard, doesn't Craig Bohl deserve a ceremony too? He's a former NU player who got fired as a coach here and now has found moderate success as the head coach of another team! And what about Turner Gill?! He never even got fired from NU...so I guess he's not eligible for any sort of "wound healing" via an obsequious halftime ceremony. If Buffalo, Ohio and NDSU all had the same bye week, we could get them all together and have a traditional circle-jerk all over the new-and-improved, more "traditional" sans-serif "N" that's planned to be painted on the 50-yard line in the fall (just like the way it was when TO was there).

Someone give me a break from this crap...I've probably said this before too, but it harkens back to the weeks and months after 9/11/01 where people actually said stupid stuff like "Doesn't Bush just seem so 'presidential'!" Oh really?! He is the president, after all...it's taken a year since he was elected (appointed) for the public to draw this determination?!
"Doesn't Bo just seem so traditional?!" "I LOVE HIM...HE'S JUST SO TRADITIONAL!!"
Please, Bo...just spare me the tradition where I'd travel 1,500 miles to watch us get embarrassed by 5 TD's in front of the largest audience to ever watch NU play...and the one where the Ben Zaijceks of the world were considered a "recruiting haul".
(No offense to the Ben Zaijceks of the world, or the city of Beatrice!)

Anonymous said...

I also meant to include: nice office reference, but you just made me sad that we're currently faced with the longest possible amount of time before more office!

Husker Mike said...

This video is so bizarre, you almost have to wonder if it isn't a practical joke. I may have to run by Husker Hounds just to see it for myself.

BLV said...

DT--

I'd been sort of down on the Office post-strike, but the finale was balls out. The devil line was my particular favorite.

Mike--

I'd love to see a review of this video.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that they were sort of slacking post-strike. That first one back was just downright painful to watch...but my own personal theory is that it's kind of like whatever that old saying about pizza & sex is--where even when it's bad, it's good. They sort of came around there the last 2-3 weeks, in my book. The whole thing about Kevin being retarded had me giggling the whole show...the hysterical thing about it was that he didn't even break character from that which he's portrayed for four years now!