3.21.2007

The Morning Walk-thru

Shant be a Cowboy...The state of Wyoming is demanding that tiny Breckenridge High School in Minnesota stop biting their style. (UniWatch) I want to understand where Wyoming is coming from here, but it's not easy.

I grew up about 45 minutes from the Cowboy State and I've always loved their bucking horse and rider logo. It's like the Jumpman of the Wild West, appearing on the license plate, the University's football helmets and cheap shot glasses in truck stops all over the state, but still...is this costing Wyoming ANY money?

No, it's not. And it's not costing Wisconsin any money or Georgia Tech, who are both mentioned in the same article as past logo bullies. I understand the importance of trademarks and intellectual property, but c'mon these are high school teams.

I highly doubt that BHS made a malicious attempt to life the Pokes logo, but that's not even really the point. What concerns me is that, a few months ago, I saw a new, more modern Wyoming logo popping up.

This is depressing on a few fronts: a) why change something that is so intricately tied with both state and school, and b) now it looks lust like every other logo created in the past 15 years.

Of course, maybe it's just Wyoming on Wyoming crime.

On a slow sports day, I'll watch anything...two random thoughts from a crappy night of television.

--It is absolutely amazing to me that Chop from A&E's King of Cars can make a living (apparently a good one) running a business like it was his own personal entourage. Stupid contests, belittling his staff, acting and dressing like he's the second coming of Scarface...the Houston one.

And he does this all while selling Dodges folks. Dodge cars and trucks. Can't believe it.

It might be time to upgrade my old '97 Avenger for one of the flashy new ones, however, and if I do you can be damn sure Chop will be behind it.

--I'll check in on American Idol every now and again just to stay up on what the kids are saying these days. In fact, during the audition rounds, I think it might be the most honest program on television, but at this point my interested has waned.

Nevertheless, I happened to click through last night to see that dude who looks like an LFO castoff beat-boxing again. This is at least the third time I've seen him showcase such "talent," and I just have to say something.

Anybody can beatbox. Try it right now, it may not sound great, but it certainly won't sound awful and that's precisely the middle ground beatboxing always occupies. It can't go higher and it can't go lower. It's just making noises with your mouth.

I believe Jim Rome calls this "talking."

No comments: