5.05.2008

BBQ, Breaking Down and Bandera


Indulge me for a moment as I try to get back in the Nebraska football swing of things. Got back from Texas on Sunday, here's a recap/assorted thoughts.

BBQ - I've eaten barbecue in the Carolinas, Kansas City and, now, all over Texas. I've smoked about every meat you can think of and there's nothing better for me than making my own sauces and sausages on a random Saturday afternoon. While I should probably withhold judgment until I've hit Memphis, I'm ready to call the Lone Star state's barbecue the best. The sausage sandwich at the Taylor Cafe was otherworldly. I'd have more to say but I'm hoping to get some paid writing out of this aspect of the trip so I'll save it for now.

Breaking Down (i.e. Eight Belles) - I didn't win big betting the Derby. It was sort of an atypical week in terms of my normal preparation but, after a brief mid-week bout of uncertainty, I did go with Big Brown against the protests of most of my handicapping friends. I was confident enough to key him on top of every exotic I played. That, along with tossing out Colonel John and Pyro, was the good handicapping I did.

Also tossing out Eight Belles and placing a shoot the moon win bet on Cool Coal Man was the bad.

Needless to say, seeing a horse break down is no way to end the first Saturday in May. Not to downplay the situation but Big Brown's race was more impressive than Barbaro's Derby and that's barely been a story. For good reason.

This is a tough time for horse racing. A number of columnists who are not necessarily horse racing fans are ripping the sport. The fans and industry insiders are giving it the usual tragic shrug. I'm not sure where I fall. On the plane back Saturday I read William C. Rhoden's column in the New York Times and felt it was poorly executed. (No bull has ever survived a bull fight, for the record.) Jane Smiley's was better.

It's a particularly tough issue and all I really know at this point is that horse racing is probably at it's lowest point in recent history in terms of general public favor. If there was ever a year for a Triple Crown winner--and Big Brown certainly looks like one--this would be it.

Bandera, TX - After the Derby at Retama Park my brother and I headed to Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar Saloon. This was cowboy country. Sawdust on the floor, real hitching posts out front. I needed to hear Arkey Blue sing "Fraulein" to lighten my spirits. If you are ever in the San Antonio area, I can't recommend a side trip to Bandera highly enough. Just remember to tuck your jeans into your boots. That's how it's done.

Aside from the photo in this post which was taken at Gruene Hall during a break in the four-hour Dale Watson set, I'm still editing a bunch more that might eventually find their way on-line. As you may have noticed in the sidebar, there's a JPG Magazine link to one of the photos from Arkey's. It looks a lot better when it's bigger. Please click away.

After I catch up on the week that was we'll try to get back to some normal Nebraska talk.

No comments: